[rescue] Cheap, fast, PC server

Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Sun Jan 27 11:40:15 CST 2008

On Jan 27, 2008, at 6:16 AM, Angel Martin Alganza wrote:

> On Sat, Jan 26, 2008 at 11:55:39PM -0500, Shannon Hendrix wrote:
>
>> My big question in all this is why are people using VMs so much?
>
> What about live migration of VMs across different real servers?

I covered that when I said "you need to give someone a machine".

Obviously that's one of those situations.

What I see though is a lot of people using them just to virtualize
servers, and VMs are a very expensive way to do that.

>> I can understand using them for some applications where you need to
>> give someone a machine, and a virtual one will do.
>
> And also when two instances of the same program cannot be run on the
> same server (database servers, for instance).

You can do that with jails and zones.

That's one of the reasons for their creation.

> I've also though about that and, since I have almost no experience
> with jails I really would like to hear from other people's experiences
> and thoughts about the use of VMs (mainly Xen) versus jails.

I don't see this as VMs versus jails.

I guess I didn't say what I meant clearly enough: I see people using
VMs for things where VMs are not necessary, and I wonder why.

I use VMs all the time for embedded development and that sort of thing
where I really do need a virtual machine, but otherwise I can't really
see enough advantage.

--
Shannon Hendrix
shannon at widomaker.com