[rescue] Cheap, fast, PC server

Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Sat Jan 26 22:55:39 CST 2008

On Jan 23, 2008, at 4:40 AM, Jonathan Groll wrote:

> On Tue, Jan 22, 2008 at 01:27:11PM -0500, Aaron Finley wrote:
>> The problem is that I need at least 10 GB of RAM.
>>
>> Probably will run 4 VMs each requiring 2GB at minimum, 3GB during
>> load.
>
> Since this is rescue... what do you need 4VMs for? (I was surprised to
> discover my PII at home only had 64MiB of RAM in it the other day, and
> its been doing fine streaming video files...). Won't 4X Ultra 2's do
> the
> trick (and people would practically give them to you)?

The problem is the Sun gear will use more power and generate more heat.

It's impossible to get competitive stuff from them any more, unless
you go quite above mid range systems.

4 Ultra 2's fully loaded can very nearly heat a small house.

My big question in all this is why are people using VMs so much?

I can understand using them for some applications where you need to
give someone a machine, and a virtual one will do.

But for just splitting things up for management or security, it seems
to me that things like Solaris zones and FreeBSD jails is a lot more
efficient.

It's also probably a lot faster.