[rescue] FC-AL drives on sale at geeks.com

Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Tue Jan 8 16:28:12 CST 2008

On Jan 8, 2008, at 3:11 AM, Mark wrote:

> On 24 Dec 2007, at 04:41, David Muran-de Assereto wrote:
>
>> USB - ick. I've tried that a couple of times; last time, I had a
>> 500GB
>> USB 2.0 drive on the Mac Pro, and the throughput was significantly
>> lower than network I/O using CIFS over gigE.

Something was bad wrong then.

I get 30MB/sec on my external USB drive on a Mac Pro.

However, Leopard does have a USB bug which causes drives to come up in
12Mbit/sec mode instead of 480, which I hope the 10.5.2 update fixes.

> One word... FireWire :) I never buy an enclosure without it, and never
> use USB 2.0 on Macs if I can help it.

I have thought about building a Firewire drive to replace my external
500GB USB2 drive, but I don't know what kind of drive is inside, and
taking the Seagate FreeAgent apart might not be reversible.

Why do these idiots deliberately cripple their enclosures?

--
Shannon Hendrix
shannon at widomaker.com