[rescue] FC-AL drives on sale at geeks.com

David Muran-de Assereto dmuran at tuad.org
Tue Jan 8 17:00:10 CST 2008

On Jan 8, 2008, at 17:28 , Shannon Hendrix wrote:

> On Jan 8, 2008, at 3:11 AM, Mark wrote:
>
>> On 24 Dec 2007, at 04:41, David Muran-de Assereto wrote:
>>
>>> USB - ick. I've tried that a couple of times; last time, I had a
>>> 500GB
>>> USB 2.0 drive on the Mac Pro, and the throughput was significantly
>>> lower than network I/O using CIFS over gigE.
>
> Something was bad wrong then.
>
> I get 30MB/sec on my external USB drive on a Mac Pro.
>
> However, Leopard does have a USB bug which causes drives to come up in
> 12Mbit/sec mode instead of 480, which I hope the 10.5.2 update fixes.

This was Tiger. By the time Leopard came out, I had given up and re-
purposed the drive from the enclosure. I've had generally bad luck
with USB peripherals, other than mice and keyboards, across hardware
and OS platforms. The last time I tried with USB was with a couple of
those Maxtor(?) external USB2 320Gb drives. I made sure they were on
different busses, striped them, and was astounded by the abysmal
performance. Then, I tried one alone, no stripe, and it was horrific.
I got them on sale for a little less than the bare drives would have
cost me, so no sweat - expectations confirmed, cannibalize the drives,
toss the enclosures.

>> One word... FireWire :) I never buy an enclosure without it, and
>> never
>> use USB 2.0 on Macs if I can help it.
>
> I have thought about building a Firewire drive to replace my external
> 500GB USB2 drive, but I don't know what kind of drive is inside, and
> taking the Seagate FreeAgent apart might not be reversible.
>
> Why do these idiots deliberately cripple their enclosures?

I've thought about buying one of those FW800 external RAID enclosures
a couple of times, but it never makes a lot of sense, especially with
GigE and lots of NAS available. One can never have too much disk
space, of course, but, after populating the MacPro, it just seemed to
be a better use of funds to buy naked drives and upgrade whatever NAS
boxes I am running at the time.
I've considered SAN as well, and was really interested in the
experimental low-cost FW SAN that Oracle put together, but it never
amounted to much AFAIK, and I really have no need whatsoever for
large, power-hungry SAN  boxes -- other than the geek factor, of course.

David Muran-de Assereto
dmuran at tuad.org

Sapere Aude!