[rescue] FC-AL drives on sale at geeks.com

Joshua Boyd jdboyd at jdboyd.net
Tue Jan 8 09:12:29 CST 2008

On Tue, Jan 08, 2008 at 08:11:18AM +0000, Mark wrote:

> One word... FireWire :) I never buy an enclosure without it, and never
> use USB 2.0 on Macs if I can help it.
>
> Moreover Solaris 10 fully supports FireWire PCI cards (at least FW400)
> out of the box, so you can theoretically use it on a SPARC if you are
> feeling adventurous :) Notable that Sun's x86-64 workstations have
> FW400 as standard - Sun like FireWire, which makes sense since they
> make a point to make real technology that works well available where
> it matters.

What FW400 chipsets do they support?  I noticed they don't support VIA.
I'm very curious about FW800 on Solaris, but the last news on that front
that I can find is now 2 years old.  2 years ago it wasn't good news.

> Also, Solaris 10 has support for a limited number of SATA controllers,
> including (but not limited to) Silicon Image Sil3112 and 3114, and, by
> extrapolation, it supports 3152 as well as that is used on the Java
> Workstations. Using that you could probably pickup a low-cost ESATA
> PCI card and hang the SATA disk off the back on it's native bus.

I don't believe that Sun has those SATA drives working on SPARC though.
If they did work on SPARC, even if they weren't bootable, that would be
extrememly useful to confirm.