[rescue] 9" VAIO with transmeta processor

Geoffrey S. Mendelson gsm at mendelson.com
Tue Feb 12 23:59:11 CST 2008

On Wed, Feb 13, 2008 at 12:43:35AM -0500, Mark Brown wrote:
> FWIW, I've got a PCG-C1VN as well. It has been sitting on the shelf too,
> as I have been wondering what OS to install. I think it is a
> crusoe600/128M/6GB. This is the first time that I have heard of "Windows
> Fundamentals for Legacy PCs".  I'm a little curious as to how that may
> work on the Vaio. Since I'm a pretty heavy voip user, I wonder if I
> could run a local SIP/IAX2 client there?

SIP clients have by modern standards low requirments, You might want to
consider another operating system such as DamnSmallLinux, or one of the
smaller BSDs.

Even Ubuntu would be ok, anything that does not force you to KDE. :-)

A friend of mine ran Ubuntu on a similarly equipped Compaq laptop
and it ran well. It even had decent WiFi support, as good as Windows
XP/SP 2. As a nontechnical user, she was able to join various WiFi
with no problems.

It ran Skype, which she uses heavily.

She used it for Word Processing with Open Office, web surfing
with FireFox and Skype. It did bog down playing MP4 videos and
some of the more heavily compressed flash videos on websites.

Obviously there will be differences, Transmeta chips were not
native X86 processors, compared to an equivalent Intel or AMD
chip some things ran better and some did not.

It's a shame they went under, their chips had a lot of "bang
for the buck". When I priced them in 2004, you could get
their then top of the line chip for $40 if you bought 1200,
well within the price range of a small production run.

Geoff.
IL Voice: (07)-7424-1667 U.S. Voice: 1-215-821-1838