[rescue] Parting out my Workstation

nate at portents.com nate at portents.com
Tue Feb 5 11:54:17 CST 2008

> Maybe it's the difference between corporate and private customers.  I
> bought a video card from them which was horribly unreliable, and got
> replaced four times in about two years of its "lifetime" warranty before
> they told me they just weren't going to honor the warranty any more.
> One of the replacement cards only lasted four days.  Another lasted six
> hours before it failed.

There was a period of time about four years ago when the video card
industry was hit by the "bad caps" situation, and I remember seeing a lot
of GeForce 4Ti 4200 and 4800 cards go bad (some explosively), including
several PNY.  PNY was one of the few companies at the time who had a
lifetime warranty though, and they did honor it on all the cards that I
saw go bad, and I don't think any of the replacements have failed, for
what it's worth.

Personally at home I switched to XFX after having previously purchased
eVGA, when I found out that eVGA's "lifetime" warranty was
non-transferrable to any other owner and was only good for the original
purchaser.  XFX on the other hand has a "double lifetime" warranty which
is transferrable to the next owner of the card.

- Nate