[rescue] Parting out my Workstation

Phil Stracchino alaric at metrocast.net
Tue Feb 5 12:13:28 CST 2008

nate at portents.com wrote:
>> Maybe it's the difference between corporate and private customers.  I
>> bought a video card from them which was horribly unreliable, and got
>> replaced four times in about two years of its "lifetime" warranty before
>> they told me they just weren't going to honor the warranty any more.
>> One of the replacement cards only lasted four days.  Another lasted six
>> hours before it failed.
>
> There was a period of time about four years ago when the video card
> industry was hit by the "bad caps" situation, and I remember seeing a lot
> of GeForce 4Ti 4200 and 4800 cards go bad (some explosively), including
> several PNY.  PNY was one of the few companies at the time who had a
> lifetime warranty though, and they did honor it on all the cards that I
> saw go bad, and I don't think any of the replacements have failed, for
> what it's worth.

Well, maybe I was just dead unlucky then.  Or maybe eastern North
Carolina in summer without air conditioning was too severe an environment.

> Personally at home I switched to XFX after having previously purchased
> eVGA, when I found out that eVGA's "lifetime" warranty was
> non-transferrable to any other owner and was only good for the original
> purchaser.  XFX on the other hand has a "double lifetime" warranty which
> is transferrable to the next owner of the card.

Good on'em.

Is PNY's transferrable these days?  I guess I'd be willing to give'em a
second chance if convinced my prior experience wasn't their fault.

--
   Phil Stracchino, CDK#2         ICBM: 43.5607, -71.355
   alaric at caerllewys.net            alaric at metrocast.net
           It's not the years, it's the mileage.