[rescue] E250 questions...

Patrick Giagnocavo patrick at zill.net
Fri Sep 28 10:48:25 CDT 2007

On Sep 28, 2007, at 11:29 AM, Lionel Peterson wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> As I prepare to shed some systems, I'm in the process of testing my
> E250s, and I'm having an interesting problem - one seems to just
> hang...
>
> It has 4x 128 Meg DIMMs (512 Meg) in Bank A, 2x 400 MHz CPUs, no
> HD, and both power supplies appear fine (fans blow, power supply
> failure light not lit). The top three LEDs (power, general fault,
> and activity) all but power blink, first slow, then faster, but
> don't seem to stop - should/could this take a long time?
>
> I reviewed the Owners Guide (http://docs-pdf.sun.com/
> 805-5160-10/805-5160-10.pdf) and this appears normal, but it
> doesn't seem to end...
>
> Thoughts? I dont' want to invest too much time in this, I am simply
> trying to get it up so I can decide if I should give away the
> chassis or scrap it (if it won't boot, it will obvioulsy go in the
> scrap)...

Josh and I had a curious problem that we diagnosed by hooking up  to
the serial console and then turning the key over to the debug mode
(or did we just boot with debug max)?

Turned out to be one of the CPUs that had a faulty something or other-
it would start booting then throw a critical error.  Removing the CPU
and replacing it with another one fixed the problem.

Cordially

Patrick Giagnocavo
patrick at zill.net