[rescue] Sun USB keyboards/mice?

Curious George jorge234q at yahoo.com
Wed Sep 19 17:52:50 CDT 2007

--- Micah R Ledbetter <vlack-lists at vlack.com> wrote:

> On Sep 14, 2007, at 14:37, Curious George wrote:
> > --- Micah R Ledbetter <vlack-lists at vlack.com>
> wrote:
> >> You need what's known as a KVM :). I bought a
> cool
> >> four-port USB
> >> +sound one from IOGear's eBay store, a refurb for
> >> $80, which was $40
> >> off new.
> >
> > I've had problems trying to get KVMs to behave
> > properly.  :<  Of course, it could be that they
> > "expect" to be used in certain ways that I
> > don't always cooperate with (e.g., I run the
> > video for a Mac Beige G3 through a KVM but
> > *don't* run it's keyboard/mouse through, etc.)
>
> Well, I'm doing that right now for the Octane that's
> attached to my
> KVM, since it's PS/2 and the KVM is USB only... I
> just attach the
> video and nothing else. However, my model actually
> lets you switch
> video around without switching which machine the
> sound is connected
> to, which might be nice if I used sound at all.
>
> My dad's problem with KVMs was they his models
> always tried to be
> "smart", and switch to the other machine as soon as
> the first one
> powers off. Mine doesn't have that problem, though.
>
> FTR, I'm using an IOGear GCS634U model. I think
> Lionel suggested it
> to me.

The last KVM I tried I had configured with hosts:
- PS2 keyboard & mouse and video to NCD HMXce
- USB (keyboard + mouse) and video to SGI VWS 320
- video (only) to Sun U5
- video (only) to Apple Beige G3

It seemed to "lock up" pretty regularly -- though
I was never able to figure out what I *may* have
done to cause that to happen (e.g., cycling power
to something unexpectedly?)

I finally opted to run more things headless :<