[rescue] Sun USB keyboards/mice?

Micah R Ledbetter vlack-lists at vlack.com
Fri Sep 14 18:29:49 CDT 2007

On Sep 14, 2007, at 14:37, Curious George wrote:
> --- Micah R Ledbetter <vlack-lists at vlack.com> wrote:
>> You need what's known as a KVM :). I bought a cool
>> four-port USB
>> +sound one from IOGear's eBay store, a refurb for
>> $80, which was $40
>> off new.
>
> I've had problems trying to get KVMs to behave
> properly.  :<  Of course, it could be that they
> "expect" to be used in certain ways that I
> don't always cooperate with (e.g., I run the
> video for a Mac Beige G3 through a KVM but
> *don't* run it's keyboard/mouse through, etc.)

Well, I'm doing that right now for the Octane that's attached to my
KVM, since it's PS/2 and the KVM is USB only... I just attach the
video and nothing else. However, my model actually lets you switch
video around without switching which machine the sound is connected
to, which might be nice if I used sound at all.

My dad's problem with KVMs was they his models always tried to be
"smart", and switch to the other machine as soon as the first one
powers off. Mine doesn't have that problem, though.

FTR, I'm using an IOGear GCS634U model. I think Lionel suggested it
to me.

  - Micah