[rescue] Sun USB keyboards/mice?

Curious George jorge234q at yahoo.com
Fri Sep 14 14:48:16 CDT 2007

Greetings!

--- Michael-John Turner <mj at turner.org.za> wrote:

> On Wed, Sep 12, 2007 at 04:48:15PM -0700, Curious
> George wrote:
> > I've got a Tatung box that is *some* sort of
> > Sun clone (it wants to call itself a Blade 1000
> > but I doubt that!  :<  Physically about the
> > same size as a U10 but heavy as lead!!).  Sounds
> > like a jet aircraft when you power it up...
>
> Interesting. I know Tatung made a variety of clones,
> but wasn't aware they
> made one of the Blade 1000. So it identifies itself
> as one when it boots
> up and it has UltraSPARC-III processor(s)?

Yes.  Though the "identification" appears to
be set via OFW options.  I.e. I can probably
make it identify itself as a Gonkulator 976
if I choose...  :>

Two 750MHz Ultra-III CPU's.  I think I have it
maxed out at 2GB of RAM (the memory modules
appear to be on steroids... easily twice or
thrice the real-estate of a 168-pin "PC" DIMM)

> The Blade 1000 uses basically the same size case as
> an U80, which is bigger
> than an U10, so I'm guessing Tatung shoe-horned
> their machine into a
> smaller form factor.

The case is larger than a U10 -- but doesn;t appear
to be as large as the U60 that I have sitting near it
(though the difference may be something as trivial
as "missing feet")

> The fans sound about right though :)

Yes, loud until the banner appears.  Then it quiets
down again (CPU controls the fan speed?)  Then, loud
again just before shutting down, etc.  I haven't
noticed it being this loud during normal operation.
Though that may be because it is well ventilated.

I don't have a place to post photos or I'd snap
some... :<