[rescue] Needed: Older laptops

Timothy Baldridge tbaldridge at gmail.com
Tue Jul 3 15:55:56 CDT 2007

"PLUS, i can put them in the closet and wifey does not have to look
at them."

And those of us who live alone are blessed with an addiction for
servers that can double as blast furnaces (Origin, I'm looking at
you).

Okay...back on topic....

Timothy

On 7/3/07, Hicheal Morton <mh1272 at gmail.com> wrote:
> i use laptops for servers at home--they have built-in UPS!
>
> my UNIX c instructor ran the whole class on an old laptop he found
> "dumpster-diving"!
>
> laptops keep me from adding/changing/upgrading hardware and saves a lot of
> money.  PLUS, i can put them in the closet and wifey does not have to look
> at them.
>

> On 7/3/07, Phil Stracchino <phil.stracchino at speakeasy.net> wrote:
> >
> > linc wrote:
> > >
> > > And I could use one or more of the same for a server or two, so broken
> > > LCD's are fine for me.
> >
> > It may be just me, but IMHO laptops make poor servers.  Above and beyond
> > any scalability/expandability considerations, they're generally not
> > designed with continuous 24/7 operation in mind.
> >

> > --
> >        Phil Stracchino                CDK#2
> > Renaissance Man, Unix ronin, Perl hacker, Free Stater
> > phil.stracchino at speakeasy.net   alaric at caerllewys.net
> > Landline: 603-429-0220           Mobile: 603-320-5438
> >        It's not the years, it's the mileage.

"Believing in a DRM business model is like joining Star Fleet
security, putting on your red shirt, and volunteering to beam down to
the new unexplored plant with Kirk, Spock and McCoy." --   Jeremy
Allison