[rescue] Quadra 650 - Newb questions/parts seeking

Michael Parson mparson at bl.org
Fri Jan 26 09:42:39 CST 2007

On Fri, Jan 26, 2007 at 11:00:06AM +0200, Geoffrey S. Mendelson wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 26, 2007 at 08:31:57AM +0000, Mark Benson wrote:
>> I might get flailed for this, but I'd leave it on 7.1. It's very fast
>> and lightweight for an 040 Mac, and later versions (7.5.x) have a lot
>> more bloat and are a bit buggy in comparison. 7.6.1 and 8.1 are fine
>> on 040s but don't give the best speed return for the slower 040s.
>
> There were unoffical T shirts floating around for System 7.5 which
> said "sucks less". I always thought there should have be for 7.5.3
> "sucks even less", and for 7.5.5 "sucks more again :-(".
>
> I agree with you about 7.1, it's much better than 7.0, does not
> take up much more resources, and is a lot smaller than 7.5.
> The only disadvantages to it, which won't affect him are that Apple
> included software in it they don't own, so it will NEVER be legally
> downloadable, and it only came on 1.4m floppies.
>
>> It's also a little known fact that practically any Apple written OS
>> extension written for 68k from System 7.5.x right up to 8.1 will
>> actually work ok in 7.1. I have an upgraded Mac IIci that is running
>> the entire of Open Transport from OS 8.1, including the AppleTalk
>> over IP support needed to log into OS X machines :D
>
> I thought that OSX had the old ethertalk support too. Last I looked,
> it was an option, off by default. I have not tried it, I do however
> use NetAtalk running on Linux and it works with 6.0.7 systems without
> TCP/IP.

10.4 doesn't have it, I think it was shipped with the OS up through .3.
10I've not yet tried to compile Netatalk under OSX yet, but it's listed
in DarwinPorts, so I don't think it should be a problem.

Another OS you might want to play with on the Quadra is A/UX, Apple's
previous attempt at running Unix on the Mac hardware.  There are ISOs to
be found on the net.

The fun part of A/UX is that while it is unix underneath, you can still
run a lot of System 7 programs on it too.

--
Michael Parson
mparson at bl.org