[rescue] Quadra 650 - Newb questions/parts seeking

Geoffrey S. Mendelson gsm at mendelson.com
Fri Jan 26 03:00:06 CST 2007

On Fri, Jan 26, 2007 at 08:31:57AM +0000, Mark Benson wrote:
> I might get flailed for this, but I'd leave it on 7.1. It's very fast
> and lightweight for an 040 Mac, and later versions (7.5.x) have a lot
> more bloat and are a bit buggy in comparison. 7.6.1 and 8.1 are fine
> on 040s but don't give the best speed return for the slower 040s.

There were unoffical T shirts floating around for System 7.5 which
said "sucks less". I always thought there should have be for 7.5.3
"sucks even less", and for 7.5.5 "sucks more again :-(".

I agree with you about 7.1, it's much better than 7.0, does not
take up much more resources, and is a lot smaller than 7.5.
The only disadvantages to it, which won't affect him are that Apple
included software in it they don't own, so it will NEVER be legally
downloadable, and it only came on 1.4m floppies.

> It's also a little known fact that practically any Apple written OS
> extension written for 68k from System 7.5.x right up to 8.1 will
> actually work ok in 7.1. I have an upgraded Mac IIci that is running
> the entire of Open Transport from OS 8.1, including the AppleTalk
> over IP support needed to log into OS X machines :D

I thought that OSX had the old ethertalk support too. Last I looked,
it was an option, off by default. I have not tried it, I do however
use NetAtalk running on Linux and it works with 6.0.7 systems without
TCP/IP.

Geoff.

IL Voice: (07)-7424-1667  Fax ONLY: 972-2-648-1443 U.S. Voice: 1-215-821-1838