[rescue] Quadra 650 - Newb questions/parts seeking

William Enestvedt William.Enestvedt at jwu.edu
Thu Jan 25 18:47:37 CST 2007

I did prepress on these in the mid 1990s, and the Quadras were pretty darn
good systems until the PPC systems hit (and those were still lame for a
while). 80MB RAM was nice enough for PM 4.x and QuarkXPress 3 and 4 under
System 7.6.1 -- 8 ate up more RAM.

   The thing about the Apple CD-ROMs was, I believe, due to the limited
drivers built into the ROMs. Once you booted, you could use a third-party
CD-ROM with software, or (in later enough versions of Mac OS) use the CD-ROM
to boot.

   I ended up with a topless external SCSi case that I stuck an HD and a
CD-ROm into, an I would boot from that using either the onboard SCSI
cabloing on the mobo or via the SCSI port on the back of the case. Very
cowboy, the chicks ll *certainly* dug it.

   Which remionds me: are you one of the two McAuley brothers (Sean & Chad,
I believe) who worked in the Scanning Department at Graphics Express on St.
James Avenue? :7)

   I gave ll my NUBUS stuff to Crt Wilbar when I passed on my Quadra 840av.
I still have a SCSI external Jaz drive & cartridges for it, but no one
wanted them last time I  offered them 'round -- and if I move this summer,
they're going in the bin. :7(

- Will
--
William Enestvedt