[rescue] Quadra 650 - Newb questions/parts seeking

Geoffrey S. Mendelson gsm at mendelson.com
Thu Jan 25 17:44:44 CST 2007

On Thu, Jan 25, 2007 at 05:14:21PM -0600, Chad McAuley wrote:
> I think the apple specs say 80ns on the RAM.  Right now I've got 80MB
> in there: the 8MB on the motherboard, a 32MB SIMM, a pair of 16MB
> SIMMs, and an 8MB SIMM.

That's why I said check the specs. Apple made many machines with slightly
different RAM specs. They also made a batch of IICx's and IICi's that
took parity RAM for the U.S. government, I don't know if they made any
later ones.

> > Contact me offlist for operating systems. I can help you.
>
> I'll definitely have to take you up on that offer.

Fine, the email is good, and so is the phone number, Bear in mind,
I'm 7 hours ahead of the east coast, and don't want to be called from
Friday night until Saturday night, my time.

> > 7.1 is a good choice if you can get it. Each level up requires more
> > RAM and HD space.
>
> Like I mentioned, 7.1 is what's on there now, so I'll probably play
> with that first before tinkering with anything else.

It's a good start.

> Doh.  Although once I start playing with it to get a feel for the
> performance and figure out what I'm going to use it for these may be
> non-issues.

It might not be. It all depends upon what you want to do. 80meg was
an awfully big RAM size for that machine. RAM was about $40-$50
a meg in those days.

> Crap, I knew as soon as I hit send I was missing something.  I'm in
> the states (zip = 64138), so unless you're using a different
> definition of local than I am, then no, I'm not local to you.  :P

While the definition of local in quantum physics may be different,
my definition of local is you stopping by with the computer for
a drive cleaning, operating system upgrade and download of applications.

> When it was still "in production", this Quadra was only ever used by
> one salesman, for one program, and not very often.  I work for a
> company that sells/services/rents/provides parts for construction,
> forklift, and underground/quarry supply equipment.  This salesman had
> a program on this Quadra ... but that's all the machine was sued for.

You should make sure and back up the disk before you wipe it.

BTW, what are you going to do with it?

Geoff.
IL Voice: (07)-7424-1667  Fax ONLY: 972-2-648-1443 U.S. Voice: 1-215-821-1838