[rescue] Quadra 650 - Newb questions/parts seeking

Chad McAuley chizad at gmail.com
Thu Jan 25 17:14:21 CST 2007

On 1/25/07, Geoffrey S. Mendelson <gsm at mendelson.com> wrote:
> It depends upon how much RAM it has. RAM is simple 8 chip SIMMS. I think
> you need 60NS, but it's worth checking out. You can go up to 16m per
> SIMM if you can find them. If you put in 4 identical SIMMs, it will
> interleave memory access and be noticably faster.

I think the apple specs say 80ns on the RAM.  Right now I've got 80MB
in there: the 8MB on the motherboard, a 32MB SIMM, a pair of 16MB
SIMMs, and an 8MB SIMM.

> Contact me offlist for operating systems. I can help you.

I'll definitely have to take you up on that offer.

> 7.1 is a good choice if you can get it. Each level up requires more
> RAM and HD space.

Like I mentioned, 7.1 is what's on there now, so I'll probably play
with that first before tinkering with anything else.

> The largest I've put in one is 2gig. There are size limitations based
> upon the operating system. You need an Apple branded drive for the
> system to be installed on it. If you don't have an Apple branded drive.
> you can find a patched version of the drive init that will work with it
> (not recommended) or SilverLining (recommended) commercial software
> to format it. STFW.

Alright, good to know.

> Your PRAM (parameter RAM battery) is dead. It's a 3.6 volt lithium
> battery. If you are in a rush, or just plain cheap, a 3 volt CR-2
> battery (from any camera store) will do. Mark the polatity of the old
> battery in magic marker on the motherboard before you remove it.

Cool.  That's what I figured, I just wanted to make sure it wasn't
something else.

> > - either the VRAM upgrade chips or a nubus video card that will allow
> > me to run higher color depths
>
> Awfully rare.
>
> > - 3 more 32MB sticks of RAM so I can max this guy out
>
> Even rarer.

Doh.  Although once I start playing with it to get a feel for the
performance and figure out what I'm going to use it for these may be
non-issues.

> When you post things like this, you should always say where you are
> located. I'd be glad to help you, but I doubt that you are local
> to me.

Crap, I knew as soon as I hit send I was missing something.  I'm in
the states (zip = 64138), so unless you're using a different
definition of local than I am, then no, I'm not local to you.  :P

Oh hell, I just noticed (a mere few seconds after hitting send, of
course) that I forgot to add in the postscript I was going to add to
my other email.

When it was still "in production", this Quadra was only ever used by
one salesman, for one program, and not very often.  I work for a
company that sells/services/rents/provides parts for construction,
forklift, and underground/quarry supply equipment.  This salesman had
a program on this Quadra that would let him lay out a
crushing/screening plant for a quarry and then run simulations on it
and see what would happen if you used different sized motors/screens
or crushed down to a different size at different points in the plant.
It was specific to one manufacturer, and I'm sure they've since
released a new version, so I'm guessing he was just used to how this
version worked, but that's all the machine was sued for.