[rescue] Quadra 650 - Newb questions/parts seeking

Geoffrey S. Mendelson gsm at mendelson.com
Thu Jan 25 16:37:19 CST 2007

On Thu, Jan 25, 2007 at 02:23:27PM -0800, stephen price wrote:
> If I remember right - and of course YMMV - the biggest
> thing about the cdrom drive is that it must be
> switch/jumper selectable to a 512byte boot block -
> hence that's why older apple cd drives always worked
> with earlier sun equipment.

I think that was only for Sun equipment. The reason the drives were
so popular is that there is a SCSI-2 command to set the drive into
512 byte block mode, and Sony had it in all of their drives. So does
toshiba, but that's not relevant to Apple.

Apple actually looks for something, I think it's Apple as the
manufacturer. It's in the code that is loaded from the CD when the
computer boots. Adaptec purchased a license for that code from Apple and
Toast 3 can be set to write a bootable CD-ROM. It must be in HFS format.
Toast 3.5,8 will make then bootable on any drive, but you must include
non Apple drivers in the system folder or it will boot and crash.

I have several Apple drives, I'll look at the manufacturer's name
next time I have them hooked up.

I know, for the fun of it I created a 6.0.8 bootable CD.

> Any scsi cdrom that is set-able should work.  I have
> seen as fast as a 32x scsi that was jumperable for the
> smaller boot block size.

It won't work for booting. It will work fine for everything else if
you have the correct drivers.

Geoff.
IL Voice: (07)-7424-1667  Fax ONLY: 972-2-648-1443 U.S. Voice: 1-215-821-1838