[rescue] Any Minneapolis area listers ?

Phil Brutsche phil at tux.obix.com
Wed Jan 10 16:52:27 CST 2007

Charles Shannon Hendrix wrote:
> You might want to look again, because newegg sells a mix of cards, some
> of which are supposed to be very good. The bigger problem is they seem
> to change the lineup a lot.

I was specifically talking about retail Adaptec RAID cards like what one
finds on Newegg - makes it easy for people to realize what I'm talking
about.

There are quite a few options, unfortunately very few of them are
worthwhile.

> For example, I see a $700 Areca, a $500 multi-rail 3Ware, etc.
>
> Also, while I'm browsing newegg, I found some RocketRAID and Adaptec
> SATA RAID cards.  Any of them worth having?

Adaptec SATA RAID cards use the aacraid (Linux) and aac(4) (*BSD)
drivers... specifically what I was warning against.

RocketRAID -> The cheap stuff is more of that BIOS-assisted software
raid crap, if I had $450 to spend on a RAID card I wouldn't buy
HighPoint, at least LSI Logic gives you an option for a BBU!

Areca -> No experience

(does anyone think we need to move this to geeks@?)

--

Phil Brutsche