[rescue] Any Minneapolis area listers ?

Peter Corlett abuse at cabal.org.uk
Thu Jan 11 04:54:16 CST 2007

On Wed, Jan 10, 2007 at 05:00:44PM -0500, Charles Shannon Hendrix wrote:
[...]
> For example, I see a $700 Areca, a $500 multi-rail 3Ware, etc.

Eep. I paid GBP199 for my last fileserver box. Software RAID is about $500
cheaper than those cards :) OK, so I bought a cheap disposable machine to
tide me over until I get a real fileserver, but it appears to do the job
just fine.

As to the endorsement of 3ware cards, I've used them at a previous employer.
They do seem to be fairly reasonable bits of kit, but seem to disagree with
some motherboards and fall back to 33MHz 32 bit PCI. The 120MB/s RAID
performance seems quite impressive, until you realise that's a ten disk
RAID50 set and the individual spindles can do 60MB/s on their own.

Saying that, I'll probably consider a 3ware card when I build my next home
server, provided I can find a compatible motherboard.