[rescue] Any Minneapolis area listers ?

William Enestvedt William.Enestvedt at jwu.edu
Wed Jan 10 13:21:26 CST 2007

I heard a Pretty Smart Guy talk about storage last month, and his
thought was that your bus will be a bottleneck long before the overhead
of software RAID is the bottleneck. *shrug*

   He also suggested that those freakin' huge drives (500GB+) mean that
rebuilding a RAID set will now take a lot longer than we all might like.
:7)

   An interesting option is to have the LVM manage filesystems, and then
the hardware controller would slice-and-dice multiple RAID sets across
the physical disks (meaning that individual disks could hold portions of
more than one RAID set) *should* result in shorter rebuild times but
potentially more RAID sets affected by a disk loss.

   And then there's RAID 60...

   But you wanted cheap storage in Minneapolis, right, Wes? Has this
thread helped you get any closer to your goal? :7)

- Will
P.S. Wes, are you the Wes that Lileks mentions?
--
Will Enestvedt
UNIX System Administrator