[rescue] Any Minneapolis area listers ?

Charles Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Wed Jan 10 16:03:45 CST 2007

Wed, 10 Jan 2007 @ 14:21 -0500, William Enestvedt said:

> I heard a Pretty Smart Guy talk about storage last month, and his
> thought was that your bus will be a bottleneck long before the overhead
> of software RAID is the bottleneck. *shrug*

True.

However, I did build a software RAID on a machine with 3 PCI busses, two
of which were PCI-X. The CPU load was pretty high.

Supposedly that's what 0-channel RAID cards are for: you have bus
bandwidth to burn, but you want to offload RAID CPU overhead to a
co-processor.

I've never used one. Seems an odd thing to do, since some of them cost
as much as a hardware RAID card.

--
shannon "AT" widomaker.com -- ["An Irishman is never drunk as long as he
can hold onto one blade of grass and not fall off the face of the earth."]