[rescue] Any Minneapolis area listers ?

Steve Hatle shatle at nfldinet.com
Tue Jan 9 22:29:59 CST 2007

On 1/9/07 3:28 PM, "Wesley W. Will"  wrote:

> I've been tagged by an online acquaintance for some help, for a library
> in the Minneapolis area.

I'm in the Twin Cities area. I could certainly assist in this project,
though I don't have a source to hand to come up with that much storage
cheap/free. If I did, I'd probably be spinning more disk at home than I do
now :-)

As Lionel said, the most expeditious route might be to go with some kind of
SATA based RAID, with Solaris x86 or *BSD to drive all of it. The number and
cost of the appropriate FC-AL or SCSI drives and Sun hardware might be
prohibitive.

I do have contacts at some equipment resellers where you could put together
a fairly recent Proliant or Poweredge with enough shelves and SCSI disks
without breaking the bank. I've found for $WORK that this works pretty well
with CentOS or *BSD to put up a pretty decent box for not so much money-
assuming rack space and power/cooling/noise are not a big issue.

Steve