[rescue] Any Minneapolis area listers ?

Patrick Finnegan pat at computer-refuge.org
Wed Jan 10 07:48:00 CST 2007

On Wednesday 10 January 2007 07:39, Magnus wrote:
> der Mouse wrote:
> > If you're going for low price, why use "hardware" (usually really
> > firmware) RAID at all?  Why not go with software RAID?
>
> Many OS's such as Linux cannot use RAID on the root partition as the
> software RAID drivers aren't loaded until after / is mounted.

For Linux, this is completely false.  You can use a RAID-1 for the root
partition, or use a RAID-1 /boot partition, and a RAID-5 root
partition.

Hardware raid only adds expense, bugs, slowness, and makes it harder to
fix when the raid controller does something stupid.

I've never had Linux software raid do something that I couldn't recover
the data from.  I've had hardware raids decide to eat volumes where I
put in a disk that wasn't pristine, or decide to fail known-good disks,
or decide to scramble the bits when upgrading the firmware.  Not fun.

Pat
--
Purdue University ITAP/RCAC       ---  http://www.rcac.purdue.edu
The Computer Refuge               ---  http://computer-refuge.org