[rescue] Any Minneapolis area listers ?

Jonathan C. Patschke jp at celestrion.net
Wed Jan 10 12:46:50 CST 2007

On Wed, 10 Jan 2007, Patrick Finnegan wrote:

> Hardware raid only adds expense, bugs, slowness, and makes it harder
> to fix when the raid controller does something stupid.

I've had exactly the opposite experience.  When I want my storage to
work (which is, well, usually), I use a hardware RAID controller.  Using
software RAID only adds bugs (more software layers to fight with),
slowness (both in actual read/write latency and in consumed CPU time
per storage transaction), and makes it nearly impossible to fix when the
OS gets its metadata out of sorts.

--
Jonathan Patschke  ) "Some people grow out of the petty theft of
Elgin, TX         (   childhood.  Others grow up to be CEOs and