[rescue] Any Minneapolis area listers ?

Steve Sandau ssandau at gwi.net
Wed Jan 10 06:52:14 CST 2007

Magnus wrote:
> der Mouse wrote:
>> If you're going for low price, why use "hardware" (usually really
>> firmware) RAID at all?  Why not go with software RAID?
>
> Many OS's such as Linux cannot use RAID on the root partition as the
> software RAID drivers aren't loaded until after / is mounted.

That is not entirely true. I have several Linux boxes that use mirrored
root partitions. You either load the module in the initrd or compile a
kernel with that capability in it. I have never had the desire to try to
boot from a software RAID 5, so I don't know if that is possible.

FWIW, I have had very good experiences with software RAID on Linux and
Solaris, both. The setups have been reliable, and the tools for both are
fairly straightforward once you get used to them.

Steve