[rescue] some stuff I'm trying to find

Aaron Finley aaronfinley at gmail.com
Tue Jan 9 13:05:08 CST 2007

On 1/9/07, Joshua Boyd <jdboyd at jdboyd.net> wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 08, 2007 at 08:43:52PM -0500, Curtis H. Wilbar Jr. wrote:
>
> > I believe you can put the max impact in slots 1 through 3 (3 lower slots)
> > and the G160 in slot 4....  but of course then your out of room if you
> > wanted various VIVO solutions...
>
> And that is why I think that High Impact is potentially so great.
>
> But then, what is any of that stuff without software, which is generally
> lacking for the cheap, and even in the not cheap field, how much really
> takes full advantage of the hardware?  I don't know about all the other
> software on all the other hardware, but at a minimum Flint on the O2
> fails in some significant ways to make full use of the hardware.

I ran IFX Piranha [0], Nothing Real Shake [1], Silicon Grail Chalice &
Rayz [1] on my I2 MAX. IFX can be very nice about hobbyists licensing
on old machines. A combination of all fo them worked very well while I
was "learning." IFX Piranha took full advantage of the hardware and
was wonderful to even when I had a High Impact, and was even more
impressive with a Max Impact. Much, much, faster than say, Shake on my
newest dual Xeon box.

I made this hippy-dippy little brochure back in high school with
Shake, the Tinder plugins (glass), and Piranha. I worked at full 300
dpi resolution so I could print on an old 3M Rainbow dyesub that I
bought. I can't remember if this is full res but 'tis good for
memories sake:

http://www.personal.psu.edu/atf121/portfolio/large/chem73h.jpg

Definitely my favorite of all the machines I've owned.

[0] http://www.ifx.com
[1] Bought by Apple, Apple has continued Shake, but not Rayz or Chalice.

-- Aaron Finley