[rescue] experience with Sun 420R?

Patrick Finnegan pat at computer-refuge.org
Sat Jan 6 13:24:31 CST 2007

On Saturday 06 January 2007 12:51, Patrick Giagnocavo wrote:
> I am still torn between a 280R and a cheaper 420R.  The 280Rs seem to
> have had reliability problems, the 420R appears to be a 4U version of
> the E450, is that right?  If so, it should be pretty bulletproof then,
> yes?

The 420R uses the same processors as an Ultra 80 (or U60), which aren't
exactly the same as an E450.  The E450 uses 300Mhz, 400Mhz, or 480Mhz
procs, and the 420R uses 360MHz or 450MHz processors.  They both use the
same memory, though, I think. (Up to 4GB using 256MB dimms).

The E450 has the annoyance of requiring a removable VRM for each
processor you install (which I could use more of myself), and the 420R
has the annoyance of the easy-to-break memory riser board connector.

BTW, if anyone needs some memory riser boards, let me know, I've got 2
extras, which I got before I realized the replacement motherboards I
bought came with risers.

Pat