[rescue] 480Mhz Cpu's in an Ultra 2 Chasis? Can it be done?

Jonathan C. Patschke jp at celestrion.net
Mon Feb 19 23:23:28 CST 2007

On Mon, 19 Feb 2007, Lionel Peterson wrote:

> The serial port errors were just odd, since I choose "Solaris" as the
> OS to install, the software (IMHO) should either havce disabled them
> (since they are not supported/identified by Solaris), or made them
> appropriate for Solaris... By asking me to pick an OS "profile", they
> lead me to believe it will "Just Work"

I just inherently distrust anything that claims it's going to make
things work for me.  I want to micromanage software until it's earned my
trust.

>> It's not the worst thing in the world, at least Paralllels comes with
>> the driver.
>
> Agreed, but again, why didn't they choose to emulate a more commonly
> supported NIC, say, an Intel 10/100 NIC?

The Realtek chip is particularly easy to emulate, and Solaris is
probably the only OS on the planet that doesn't ship with drivers for
it.  I think even the later releases of OS/2 support it.

> I honestly think Solaris support was more than a coincidence, it just
> doesn't seem to really be done yet...

I suspect that's exactly the case.  Almost all of the new features in
the Parallels beta are aimed at Windows users.

--
Jonathan Patschke ) "I would buy a Mac today if I was not working at
Elgin, TX        (   Microsoft."      --Jim Allchin, VP of Platforms