[rescue] 480Mhz Cpu's in an Ultra 2 Chasis? Can it be done?

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at verizon.net
Mon Feb 19 20:11:26 CST 2007

On Mon, 2007-02-19 at 19:13, Jonathan C. Patschke wrote:
> On Mon, 19 Feb 2007, Lionel Peterson wrote:
>
> > Solaris under Parallels is challenging - I may even have to go and
> > read the book!
>
> I can't say I've had that experience.  I created the VM, configured it
> with the hardware I wanted, and booted the installation DVD (10 11/06).
> Everything Just Worked.

Yeah - I figured I was being a bit optomistic that the standard install
would function "optimally" even though the Mfg. documantation said so...
(I guess it is like the old saying about restaurants - "if the sign says
'fine dining', it isn't"...

> > I saw numerous errors during install, the "virtual machene" had the
> > optimum amount of memory for Solaris as 256 Meg, meaning a GUI install
> > was out, and the F2 button (used to poke the text install forward),
> > kept afecting the screen briteness.
>
> You might do better to always customize your VM.  Or, better yet, forego
> the wizard entirely, create a blank VM, and customize from there.  That
> way you don't end up with a bunch of different VMs arguing over USB
> ports or making irritating noises at you out the speakers.

The serial port errors were just odd, since I choose "Solaris" as the OS
to install, the software (IMHO) should either havce disabled them (since
they are not supported/identified by Solaris), or made them appropriate
for Solaris... By asking me to pick an OS "profile", they lead me to
believe it will "Just Work"

> As for the F2 thing, that's what the Fn key is for.  Mac OS (or possibly
> even the hardware) grabs that before Parallels has a chance.

I couldn't get it to work for me (fat fingers, not the software's fault
I bet), but I wound up with ESC+Fn key as the Solaris supplied
workaround.

> > Oh, and the network card in Parallels is not supported by Solaris, so
> > you have to manually load a driver to get it to work.
>
> It's not the worst thing in the world, at least Paralllels comes with
> the driver.

Agreed, but again, why didn't they choose to emulate a more commonly
supported NIC, say, an Intel 10/100 NIC? I honestly think Solaris
support was more than a coincidence, it just doesn't seem to really be
done yet...

I'm not giving up on Parallels, I just have to keep plugging away at
it...

Lionel