[rescue] 480Mhz Cpu's in an Ultra 2 Chasis? Can it be done?

Peter Corlett abuse at cabal.org.uk
Mon Feb 19 18:18:47 CST 2007

On 20 Feb 2007, at 00:02, Lionel Peterson wrote:
[...]
> I saw numerous errors during install, the "virtual machene" had the
> optimum amount of memory for Solaris as 256 Meg, meaning a GUI install
> was out, and the F2 button (used to poke the text install forward),
> kept
> afecting the screen briteness.

Try fn+F2 instead.

If you'd prefer function keys to be function keys, you can go to
System Preferences.app -> Keyboard & Mouse -> Keyboard -> check Use
the F1-12 keys to control software features. You can then use, e.g. fn
+F2 to increase brightness instead. You will also probably want to go
into Dashboard & Expose to map the Expose keyboard shortcuts to, e.g.
shift+F9 ... shift+F12.

> Oh, and there were errors becuase the
> *four* simulated serial ports were unrecognized.

IIRC, they're write-only fake serial ports that go to a file, because
x86 Macs don't have real serial ports. You might be better off using
a USB serial dongle but I haven't used Solaris enough to know what
it'd make of one of those.