[rescue] 480Mhz Cpu's in an Ultra 2 Chasis? Can it be done?

Jonathan C. Patschke jp at celestrion.net
Mon Feb 19 18:13:46 CST 2007

On Mon, 19 Feb 2007, Lionel Peterson wrote:

> Solaris under Parallels is challenging - I may even have to go and
> read the book!

I can't say I've had that experience.  I created the VM, configured it
with the hardware I wanted, and booted the installation DVD (10 11/06).
Everything Just Worked.

> I saw numerous errors during install, the "virtual machene" had the
> optimum amount of memory for Solaris as 256 Meg, meaning a GUI install
> was out, and the F2 button (used to poke the text install forward),
> kept afecting the screen briteness.

You might do better to always customize your VM.  Or, better yet, forego
the wizard entirely, create a blank VM, and customize from there.  That
way you don't end up with a bunch of different VMs arguing over USB
ports or making irritating noises at you out the speakers.

As for the F2 thing, that's what the Fn key is for.  Mac OS (or possibly
even the hardware) grabs that before Parallels has a chance.

> Oh, and the network card in Parallels is not supported by Solaris, so
> you have to manually load a driver to get it to work.

It's not the worst thing in the world, at least Paralllels comes with
the driver.

--
Jonathan Patschke ) "I would buy a Mac today if I was not working at
Elgin, TX        (   Microsoft."      --Jim Allchin, VP of Platforms