[rescue] Need dope-slap on Netra t1 150 and DVD setup

Micah R Ledbetter vlack-lists at vlack.com
Sun Feb 4 21:36:53 CST 2007

On Feb 2, 2007, at 16:32, Bill Bradford wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 02, 2007 at 05:01:20PM -0500, Carl R. Friend wrote:
>> I'm fiddling with my Netra t1 150 and trying to get it to boot from
>> a DVD of the latest version of Solaris 10, and I'm getting absolutely
>> nowhere with it.  Here's what I get when I try to boot it:
>> Unrecognized magic number in media label
>> Can't open disk label package
>
> Internal or external DVD-ROM?  THere's a known firmware issue with
> some drives; I had to install Sol9, upgrade drive firmware, then
> install Sol10.

You've mentioned this patch for Toshibas several times on the list,
but I have a Samsung (SD-106? I think) IDE DVD drive on my Sun Blade
100, and I get the same error as Carl when trying to boot from a DVD
- though booting from CDs in the same drive works fine. Are there
other patches for other drives, or were Toshibas the only ones affected?

The current plan is to boot from a single install cd, copy the DVD
image I want to use to an unused partition on the target root disk,
use lofiadm to connect it, mount it as /cdrom, and run /sbin/install-
solaris from that point. It's worth all that extra trouble just so I
don't have to burn and install from 5 different CDs :(. I'm going to
set up a partition for Live Upgrade or whatever it's called so I
don't have to go through this pain in the future.

  - Micah