[rescue] replacing an Ultra2

Michael Parson mparson at bl.org
Fri Apr 27 11:03:31 CDT 2007

On Fri, Apr 27, 2007 at 02:47:24PM +0100, Peter Corlett wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 26, 2007 at 08:43:15PM -0400, Charles Shannon Hendrix wrote:
> [...]
>> In fact, if I had a lot of money and bought an Apple, first thing I would
>> do is toss their low end video and hard drives and get something better.
>
> It's often aa idea to buy the lowest-spec you can and upgrade memory, disks
> and optical drives rather than pay Apple's scary prices, yes. Other
> components are generally not user-upgradable: video cards may be
> electrically compatible but don't have the right firmware.

With Apple's current crop of offerings, you can only replace the video
on the Mac Pro tower units.  Their base-graphics is a GeForce 7300 GT
w/256 MB and dual-link DVI.

All their other boxes have on-board video of some sort, some better than
others.

> It's even harder to upgrade laptops, of course: RAM and disk is about
> your lot.

Yup.

I bought my Black MacBook in store and got the 2 gig upgrade on the RAM,
which they charged me $322 for (with my EPP discount).  But I got to
keep the 1 gig it came with (2x512M sticks), which I put in my brother's
MacBook, leaving me with his original 512M (2x255M sticks).

Anyone need 512M in DDR2-667 SODIMMs?  If I get $20 (+shipping) for
the pair, I think I about make up for paying too much for the stuff I
originally bought from Apple.

--
Michael Parson
mparson at bl.org