[rescue] replacing an Ultra2

Charles Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Fri Apr 27 11:47:38 CDT 2007

Fri, 27 Apr 2007 @ 11:03 -0500, Michael Parson said:

> With Apple's current crop of offerings, you can only replace the video
> on the Mac Pro tower units.  Their base-graphics is a GeForce 7300 GT
> w/256 MB and dual-link DVI.

The last time I looked, that was their only nVidia option, and their max
ATI option is pretty far behind, or it was a couple of months ago.

This is a really serious issue, because video upgrades often make a huge
difference, and Apple has poor selection there.

It's almost like all those expansion slots they have are useless, since
almost nothing has the Apple firmware needed.

Oh well, it's only been 15 years or so.  PCI will have standard firmware
any day now... really...

> All their other boxes have on-board video of some sort, some better than
> others.

I read not long ago that you could get a GPU chip and update at least a
couple of their all-in-one machines.  Or do you have to do that when you
first buy it?

--
shannon /  Don't you see that the whole aim of Newspeak is to narrow the
-------'   range of thought? In the end we shall make thoughtcrime