[rescue] Sun Netra = Ultra 2?

Bill Bradford mrbill at mrbill.net
Wed Dec 6 16:52:55 CST 2006

On Wed, Dec 06, 2006 at 05:33:33PM -0500, mpickering at mindspring.com wrote:
> Some digging around found that the Ultra 2 workstation looks identical.
> I haven't been able to find any reference to a Netra machine in the same
> family.  I suspect Sun relabeled Ultra 2s without graphics as Netra for
> headless use.  Can anyone confirm or deny that the Netra workstation is
> an Ultra 2? I'd like to upgrade the memory and processors and hopefully
> Ultra 2 parts will fit.

The early "Netra" systems were just headless boxes with a cruddy admin
GUI installed and voice prompts (that played over the system speaker)
telling you when it was booted, ready to shut down, etc.

Feel free to mark out the "Netra" logo with a Sharpie and throw a
normal Solaris load on there.. its what everyone I know, did. 8-)

Bill

--
Bill Bradford
Houston, Texas