[rescue] Sun Netra = Ultra 2?

mpickering at mindspring.com mpickering at mindspring.com
Wed Dec 6 16:33:33 CST 2006

Hi all,

I just acquired a dual processor Sun workstation.  It is labelled as a "Netra" on the case, has two processor slots (both filled) and half of the memory banks filled.  A CD-ROM, floppy and two SCA drive connectors (no drives, just spuds).

Some digging around found that the Ultra 2 workstation looks identical.  I haven't been able to find any reference to a Netra machine in the same family.  I suspect Sun relabeled Ultra 2s without graphics as Netra for headless use.  Can anyone confirm or deny that the Netra workstation is an Ultra 2? I'd like to upgrade the memory and processors and hopefully Ultra 2 parts will fit.

I can fit it with a frame buffer assuming an SBUS based frame buffer will work.  I have plenty of TGX buffers lying around.  Spuds aren't an issue either as I have plenty of SCA drives as well.

I suspect a 2 x 300Mhz Ultra 2 with 1-2GB of RAM would be a decent little dual CPU system.

Matt