[rescue] Mainframe on eBay

Mike Meredith mike at redhairy1.demon.co.uk
Mon Sep 26 17:03:24 CDT 2005

On Mon, 26 Sep 2005 16:19:49 -0400, Kevin Loch wrote:
> What is the equivalent of 'netstat -I fxp0 1' in Linux?
> works on every other flavor of *ix.  They diddn't
> just change the syntax, they took out the functionality.
> Why?

In this case, Linux has a moderately reasonable excuse for being
different. Every other Unix (with the possible exception of AIX) uses
the BSD IP stack whereas Linux chose to reimplent the IP stack from
scratch (more than once I believe). As netstat is very closely tied to
the kernel IP stack, making Linux's netstat compatible may have been
difficult and very sensibly took a back seat to making the IP stack
interoperate.

Of course it's about time they fixed it.