[rescue] Mainframe on eBay

Charles Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Fri Sep 30 10:47:25 CDT 2005

Mon, 26 Sep 2005 @ 16:19 -0400, Kevin Loch said:

> One example out of many:
>
> What is the equivalent of 'netstat -I fxp0 1' in Linux?  works on
> every other flavor of *ix.  They diddn't just change the syntax, they
> took out the functionality.
> Why?

It sounds a whole lot like people are bashing Linux for things other
UNIX are also guilty of.

Do you guys see more differences between Linux and NetBSD than there are
between Solaris and NetBSD, for example?  I'm not sure I do.

I see a lot of differences when doing things like writing portable shell
scripts for several UNIX varients.

In this case, the network tools were written by three guys, and they
just didn't follow a lot of the other versions.

Since Linux has no master distribution, your primary problem is
differences among Linux systems, not differences between Linux and other
UNIX.

The Linux hackers have no interest in a unified base Linux system, so
there you go.  It would solve a lot of problems if they would make it
happen.

--
shannon "AT" widomaker.com -- ["I want this Perl software checked for
viruses.  Use Norton Antivirus." -- Charlie Kirkpatrick]