[rescue] Mainframe on eBay

Charles Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Mon Sep 26 13:54:11 CDT 2005

Sat, 17 Sep 2005 @ 13:51 -0400, Kevin Loch said:

> 1. FreeBSD
> 2. Solaris <= 9
> 3. AIX
> 4. NetBSD
> ---- line of suck ---
> 5. Solaris 10
> 6. Slakware Linux
> 7. Windows 2003/cygwin
> 8. Any other Linux distro

NetBSD definitely rocks, and while I don't like using AIX, it does have
a lot of strong points, as does the hardware it runs on.

I think Slackware Linux is very good, so I'd rate it a bit higher,
certainly over Solaris 10 on x86 hardware.

Windows just sucks period, and so do most of the other Linux
distributions, all of which try hard to suck as bad as Windows.

I'd also put MacOS X in there, though as a workstation OS.  No
experience using it on servers.

> The thing I hate most about Linux is the gratuitous changes to legacy
> command syntax.

That has nothing to do with Linux.  The tools are from GNU.

Also, what do you mean exactly?

GNU tools are mostly compatible with BSD/Sun/SvR4 commands, and usually
only differ in offering optional extensions.

Yes there are differences, but there are also differences between BSD
and Solaris and HP/UX, so what makes Linux special in terms of syntax
differences?

> Fortunately FreeBSD linux emulation is very good now.  For Solaris 10
> the problem is the unnecessarily complex startup configuration system.
> I'll take FreeBSD/NetBSD's /etc/rc.conf any day over that.

Amen to that.  I *hate* the stupid SvR4 /etc crap in most Linux
distributions.  It's horrible.

Also, Solaris installation is brain-dead, and its x86 hardware support
is dismal.  Sun could learn a lot from the installers for most free OS.

--
shannon "AT" widomaker.com -- ["And in billows of might swell the Saxons
before her,-- Unite, oh unite!	Or the billows burst o'er her!" -- Downfall