[rescue] Mainframe on eBay

Michael Parson mparson at bl.org
Mon Sep 19 09:41:52 CDT 2005

On Sat, Sep 17, 2005 at 01:51:04PM -0400, Kevin Loch wrote:
> Eric Webb wrote:
> >>I definitely prefer AIX over Linux.
>
> Ok let's just lay down all the cards.
> Here's my preference, only of things I've done significant work on
> recently:
>
> 1. FreeBSD
> 2. Solaris <= 9
> 3. AIX
> 4. NetBSD
> ---- line of suck ---
> 5. Solaris 10
> 6. Slakware Linux
> 7. Windows 2003/cygwin
> 8. Any other Linux distro
>
> The thing I hate most about Linux is the gratuitous changes
> to legacy command syntax.

To be fair, and I'm no Linux appologist, this is not really Linux's
fault, but for the most part, the blame lies with the GNU utilities
that Linux distros ship with.  If someone finally would put together a
Linux kernel with the Free/Net/OpenBSD userland, and/or the Heirloom
Toolchest, you might have something more like Unix purists are looking
for.

My personal favorite of the free ones is NetBSD, Solaris for the
commercial offerings.

--
Michael Parson
mparson at bl.org