[rescue] Mainframe on eBay

Mon Sep 26 15:03:06 CDT 2005

> GNU tools are mostly compatible with BSD/Sun/SvR4 commands, and
> usually only differ in offering optional extensions.

Maybe in most cases.  I recently had to work with Fedora and Red Hat,
and I was unable to find any way to make ls sort names the way I'm used
to, ie, simple machine collating order on the filename - it insisted on
doing a case-folding alphabetic sort ignoring, possibly among other
things, leading dots.  Worst of all, there is no option to fix it, or
at least the manpage shows none.  (I loathe the colour goop too, but
that at least is relatively easy to get rid of.)

Also a big annoyance is that bash doesn't let me do history recalls
with ^P when my suspc is set to ^P, but that's a Linux problem only to
the extent that Linux means bash (though that is a pretty big extent in
practice).

/~\ The ASCII				der Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign
 X  Against HTML	       mouse at rodents.montreal.qc.ca