[rescue] Obtaining Mac OS 9 Question

Patrick Giagnocavo 717-201-3366 patrick at zill.net
Fri Sep 23 13:49:06 CDT 2005

On Fri, 2005-09-23 at 14:43, Mike Hebel wrote:
> Someone generated the quantum flux that came across as... Patrick Finnegan
> > On Friday 23 September 2005 12:04, Mike Hebel wrote:
> >> Nothing that is lower than a G3 iMac or a G3 Pismo Powerbook can boot
> >> OS X natively.  Even some of those have problems despite having OF.
> >
> > False.  I've got OSX (10.2) running on a beige G3, which didn't require
> > anything special to make work.  From what I've heard, later versions
> > don't work, however.
>

> Then you're a rarity in my book - I've heard nothing of it working
> natively on Beige G3s.

10.2 does install natively, no work needed.  Whether it works all that well is perhaps debatable - 66Mhz memory bus, usually slow disk and not so great video card.

I personally feel that 600Mhz G3 or higher (or G4/450) with a decent video card (whatever that is in Apple-land) is bare minimum.

--Patrick