[rescue] Mainframe on eBay

Peter abuse at cabal.org.uk
Sat Sep 17 11:45:36 CDT 2005

r.stricklin <bear at typewritten.org> wrote:
> [...] I wish to GOD IBM would put some of their AIX white-shirts on
> the task of cleaning up after the herd of circus elephants that are
> responsible for "developing" Linux. Linux is borderline
> unmaintainable... and some days it's not clear exactly which side of
> the borderline it tends toward. But that's a whole other rant for a
> whole other time.

FWIW, I herd Debian boxes at work, and apt-get dist-upgrade is fairly
low-maintenance as security-patching goes. We have our own apt
repository of packages for local customisations and replacements for
Debian-provided packages that we consider broken. The 30 seconds I
spend each day running my script to update and patch the servers en
masse sure beats faffing around with each individual box.

The legacy Slackware and Red Hat boxes are a right PITA though, and
definitely on the wrong side of that border.

I'll be trying out Ubuntu on my shiny new x86-64 box this weekend and
will report back if anybody cares.

--
Whenever a politician starts talking about "the children," keep one eye on
your wallet and the other on your liberty.