[rescue] Mainframe on eBay

r.stricklin bear at typewritten.org
Sat Sep 17 03:24:37 CDT 2005

On Sep 17, 2005, at 12:51 AM, Skeezics Boondoggle wrote:

> I guess my beef with AIX (and often with HP-UX) is that coming from
> the
> BSD/SunOS4 world, they seemed to just make ridiculous, unnecessary,
> and
> even gratuitous changes to the "usual" way of doing things in Unix.

Every major unix flavor is gratuitously different from every other
flavor, except in trivial cases (which vary).

People who rag on AIX have never been responsible for maintaining a
large enterprise computing facility of 600+ UNIX machines supporting
450 distinct application environments, including IRIX, Solaris,
SunOS, AIX, HP-UX, and three varieties of commercial Linux. If they
have and still hate AIX for other than pedagogical reasons, they
didn't spend very much time thinking about how to do it efficiently---
i.e. how to not have to do a ton of hand-holding for every box for
every change and still have confidence that it happened correctly.

Yes, it's different. Get over it.

I work on Linux for zSeries these days, and I wish to GOD IBM would
put some of their AIX white-shirts on the task of cleaning up after
the herd of circus elephants that are responsible for "developing"
Linux. Linux is borderline unmaintainable... and some days it's not
clear exactly which side of the borderline it tends toward. But
that's a whole other rant for a whole other time.

ok
bear