[rescue] Rescuing a 3com Terminal Server

Patrick Finnegan pat at computer-refuge.org
Fri Oct 14 10:30:10 CDT 2005

On Friday 14 October 2005 10:22, Michael Parson wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 14, 2005 at 11:07:19AM -0400, mark.brown at agfa.com wrote:
> > Hey Folks,
> >
> > Can anyone here help me rescue an old 3com Terminal server.  The
> > boot floppy disk has gone missing, and I would like to use it as a
> > console server for my
> > Sun gear in the lab.
> >
> > Can anyone help me out?
>
> It might not be available for a free download.  Might be better off
> getting console server that does have free dl's of the code. :-/

Mark, if you can't find a copy, I'd suggest getting a Xyplex or an old
DECserver (if you can deal with learning about LAT :) off eBay, you can
usually get DECservers for cheap, and Xyplexes are going down in price.
A friend managed to get a 40-port (MAXserver 1640) for $40 a few days
ago from there.

I really like my DECserver 500 and 550, though they don't get much use,
because they're HUGE (and do 128 ports apiece).  The Xyplex, which
appears to be a derivative, with RJ45 instead of MMJ ports, and
knowledge of TCP/IP as well as LAT :), is also a great box, but they
end up costing more than the $10 that DECserver 200s and such go for on
eBay.

Pat
--
Purdue University ITAP/RCS        ---  http://www.itap.purdue.edu/rcs/