[rescue] Rescuing a 3com Terminal Server

Michael Parson mparson at bl.org
Fri Oct 14 10:41:37 CDT 2005

On Fri, Oct 14, 2005 at 10:30:10AM -0500, Patrick Finnegan wrote:
> On Friday 14 October 2005 10:22, Michael Parson wrote:
>> On Fri, Oct 14, 2005 at 11:07:19AM -0400, mark.brown at agfa.com wrote:
>>
>>> Hey Folks,
>>>
>>> Can anyone here help me rescue an old 3com Terminal server.  The
>>> boot floppy disk has gone missing, and I would like to use it as a
>>> console server for my Sun gear in the lab.

>>> Can anyone help me out?
>>
>> It might not be available for a free download.  Might be better off
>> getting console server that does have free dl's of the code. :-/
>
> Mark, if you can't find a copy, I'd suggest getting a Xyplex or an old
> DECserver (if you can deal with learning about LAT :) off eBay, you
> can usually get DECservers for cheap, and Xyplexes are going down in
> price.  A friend managed to get a 40-port (MAXserver 1640) for $40 a
> few days ago from there.
>
> I really like my DECserver 500 and 550, though they don't get much
> use, because they're HUGE (and do 128 ports apiece).  The Xyplex,
> which appears to be a derivative, with RJ45 instead of MMJ ports, and
> knowledge of TCP/IP as well as LAT :), is also a great box, but they
> end up costing more than the $10 that DECserver 200s and such go for
> on eBay.

Back in May, I got a Xyplex MAXserver 1500 (16 port?) off ebay for $9.99
(+10.09 shipping).  There are instructions online for setting them up,
which I've not done yet, been dealing with other issues in my life, but
I hope to have it up soon.  The code for it is still available, for
free, to download.  I do like that it uses RJ45s instead of the MMJ,
easier to find connectors and I've already got the crimper. =)

--
Michael Parson
mparson at bl.org