PHP - bodge - scale (was Re: [rescue] decisions, decisions)

Phil Stracchino phil.stracchino at speakeasy.net
Tue May 3 10:08:48 CDT 2005

Shirker wrote:
> On Tue, 3 May 2005, Joshua Boyd wrote:
>>On Tue, May 03, 2005 at 02:36:54PM +0000, Peter Corlett wrote:
>>>(It wasn't valid Perl.)
>>
>>Oh.  I could have sworn you stated it was.  Never mind then.
>
> It was me that stated it was, and I was joking (exaggeration to make a
> point about the sheer unreadability of Perl code).

While Perl code *can*be extremely heavily obfuscated, it doesn't have to
be -- and doing so is, IMHO, a bad practice because it results in all
but unmaintainable code.  I personally tend to consider line-noise Perl
to be "job-security code", pure and simple.

The Perl I write tends to look very much like [non-obfuscated] C.  This
is partly because I learned C long before I learned Perl, and partly
because I have this silly idea that code should be readable and
maintainable.

--
 Phil Stracchino
 phil.stracchino at speakeasy.net