PHP - bodge - scale (was Re: [rescue] decisions, decisions)

Shirker shirker at mooli.org.uk
Tue May 3 09:54:36 CDT 2005

On Tue, 3 May 2005, Joshua Boyd wrote:

> On Tue, May 03, 2005 at 02:36:54PM +0000, Peter Corlett wrote:
> > Joshua Boyd <jdboyd at jdboyd.net> wrote:
> > [...]
> > > If a non perl programmer knew what the heck that string was supposed
> > > to do he might be able to explain how to accomplish the same in
> > > another language.
> >
> > This does the same thing as that Perl script:
> >
> > 10 PRINT "Scalar found where operator expected at -e line 1, near ""$^$^"""
> > 20 PRINT "        (Missing operator before $^?)"
> > 30 STOP
> >
> > (It wasn't valid Perl.)
>
> Oh.  I could have sworn you stated it was.  Never mind then.

It was me that stated it was, and I was joking (exaggeration to make a
point about the sheer unreadability of Perl code). That line was me just
mashing keys randomly - something that gives pretty similar-looking
results to certain Perl code I've worked with before.

See http://perl.plover.com/obfuscated/ for a pretty good example which
*is* real, and will run.

Ed.